Where does the name "Ulysses" come from?
The name originates from a poem of the same title by Alfred Lord Tennyson. It tells how the great Greek hero Ulysses, now middle-aged and securely in charge of his kingdom of Ithaca, becomes bored, and longs to go adventuring with his shipmates of old. It describes well the type of person who still has enough spark to continue riding into middle, even later years.
Origins and Scope
The club was established in Australia in 1983, a number of New Zealanders at first joined through Australia. As the New Zealand numbers grew a branch was formed here to look after the club.
When numbers reached around four hundred, The Ulysses Club of New Zealand Incorporated was formed with a National Committee. As of May 2014 active membership is well over three thousand and thirty branches have been established to arrange regional activities.
- To provide ways in which older motorcyclists can get together for companionship and mutual support.
- To show by example that motorcycling can be an enjoyable and practical activity for riders and pillions of all ages.
- To draw the attention of public and private institutions to the needs and views of older riders.
Who we are and what we do
The North Harbour branch of The Ulysses Club of NZ Inc. covers the area - North to South Head to Warkworth and Leigh - East to Kawau Island, Whangaparaoa Peninsula to Devonport - South to the northern shore of the Waitemata Harbour from Devonport to Limeburners Bay (West of Hobsonville) and through to Hobsonville Road - West to Hobsonville Road to Waitakere and Bethells Beach. We are a Social Club for people who have an interest in motorcycling. We welcome anyone wishing to join who is over 40 years old and who holds a motorcycle licence. Our rules allow exceptions in special cases.
Runs are organised for every weekend, with overnight runs and other events arranged occasionally. Contact the Runs Co-ordinator or see the Runs List for details. Out of town members and visitors are always welcome to all runs and events.
Club Night is the first Thursday of every month except January at the Hobsonville RSA, 114 Hobsonville Rd. Hobsonville. There are good meals for a very reasonable cost, lots of good conversation, and raffles. At roughly 7:00pm (winter time and 7.30pm in summer time), there are general Club announcements from the Branch President and entertainment from our Sheriff. Bringing the bike is optional, checking out the bikes in the car park is common (almost compulsory).
We also have a social dinner once a month on a Wednesday evening. This is currently done at different locations so you will need to watch the runs list and check your email. Members usually arrive around 5.30pm - 6.00pm and stay for a meal, a chat and a few social drinks. If you can't make a Thursday club night then this is the alternative social event.
The Club's membership requirements?
- Be 40 years old or more, and hold a current motorcycle licence, be nominated by a Branch Member and approved by the Branch President; or
Be 40 years old or more, have a longstanding interest in motorcycles or be the spouse / partner of a current member, and has been nominated by a Branch Member and approved by the Branch President; or
Be 40 years old or more, hold a current motorcycle licence, and is generally resident overseas, and has been nominated by two members who are generally resident in New Zealand; and (4)having satisfied (1) or (2) or (3) above, have applied for membership to the National Secretary in such manner as may be prescribed from time to time; and (5)has been approved for membership by the National Committee.
There are some exemptions to some of these requirements, if your spouse is a member, if you ride a trike on a car licence or if you can prove a long-standing involvement in motorcycling discuss your situation with the Branch President.
So how do I join?
With a motto like ours, you'll see that we're not too stand-offish, so we try and keep this simple.
First, make sure you understand the membership requirements and that you are eligible then come to one or more of our rides or functions one of these can be a Branch Meeting or Branch Dinner. Prospective members and visitors are more than welcome to attend any of our group rides and social events. See the Events & Runs Page,
Events can be:
- The club social night.
- A ride organised by the club
- A ride supported by the club eg. BRONZE Toy Run, Red Knights Burns Run
- A rally (attendance proof required)
Then you can get in touch with us by:
- Sending an email by clicking here, or
- Leaving a message on the branch phone
or possibly the best option
- Obtain a copy of our Membership Application Form, fill it in and get it to the Branch President to sign and send it away.
- Turn up at one of the club social nights, (first Thursday of the month at the Hobsonville RSA, 114 Hobsonville Rd. Hobsonville) introduce yourself and say you want to join.
If you have any questions you can get in touch with us by:
- Sending an email to our Branch President (see above), or by contacting one of our Committee members directly
- Turn up at any of the branch rides or social events, introduce yourself and say you want to join.